The ferry ride back to Athens was 5 hours and I was stuck in a chair that whole time with my tailbone aching and a nasty hangover and the Ios cough. Not much fun.
We got on the metro to get back to the hostel but the trains were cancelled about 5 stops into it... They kicked us off and told us to find a bus. Hmmm. Got a taxi back instead.
Tuesday 7 June 2011
Woke up feeling so terrible this morning, my cough sounds like a saint bernard's bark. I arrived back in Rome, trudged around with my shitful heavy non-ergonomic bag to find my hotel up 4 flights of stairs, dumped my shit in my rooms and completely fell apart. There is nothing like it... being so sick, difficulty breathing, in a country where you can't communicate your symptoms to the disinterested arsehole at the farmacia. Lucky I could pay with credit card at the chemist and the supermarket, and I was in bed by 8.
Wednesday 8 June 2011
Vatican tour today!! This morning I went downstairs to the very busy cafe and elbowed my way to the front to order (in perfect Italian) my cappuccino and chocolate croissant. Our tour guide is from the same company as the Rome tour I have already been on, and we got the same type of energy and humour from our guide Justin. We took an extremely crowded bus to St Peters square and arrived in time to see the pope! He was doing his thing in various languages and then all of a sudden he started on the blessing! That's right, I have been blessed by ol' Vitamin P! Nanna will be so jealous. Then we went to the "best sandwich place in Rome", and it was actually pretty good. Next stop was the Vatican museum, we tried to get the "pretty face" discount from the leering dude at the ticket counter but none of us were pretty enough. Justin gave us heaps of info about the history of the catholic church and the development of the Vatican and all the art gathered in the museum. It was all really interesting and the art was beautiful, a massive collection of magnificent works.
But of course nothing would compare to the Sistine chapel, which was fantastic. Surpasses anything I have seen and even more impressive knowing that Michaelangelo hadn't painted a fresco before in his life and is a very difficult technique to master. I got a good 15 minutes in there and my neck was aching by the end of it. Another trip highlight!
Another early night, still feeling wretched and tired from coughing all day.
Thursday 9 June 2011
I am doing nothing else today except get a doctor and get antibiotics. I can hardly breathe and my sinus is terrible and I need my mummy.
I get instructions to the Rome hospital, arrive at reception desk and try in vain to explain myself to the lady there. She takes me down to triage, then i get shown through to the waiting area where I sit on a hard wooden bench for the next 3 and a half hours while i wait to see the 1 doctor on duty. I was extremely uncomfortable, and the only thing in brought to read was my Italian phrase book, so at least I learned a few new words. Finally I get to see him and he says I have acute bronchitis, but luckily not pneumonia! I get a script for Two lots of antibiotics, go back to see my disinterested pharmacist and get my retarded heavy piece of shit bags and lug them across town to my new accommodation. at least I have a nice cabin to myself and I can cough and wheeze all night without disturbing anybody.
No comments:
Post a Comment