Saturday 14 May 2011
Sore head, watched sound of music movie until bus came to take us to Munich. We arrived on the final night of spring festival, like a mini Oktoberfest. Our beer wench Wolfgang was the most intriguing character I have met on this trip. Earrings, pink lips which were constantly pursed, the most funny way of speaking English, but he OWNED those 10 liters of beer he was carrying. I can't wait for the real thing in 4 months time, gonna be awesome. Watched eurovision contest back at the hostel, lame. There was a fight apparently after I went to bed, drama!
Sunday 15 May 2011
Today had the visit to Dachau Concentration Camp. It was very tough for me. They showed a video that brought me to tears. Our guide was brilliant, he knew so much detail. I went into the gas chamber and saw the ovens, it was dreadful. I bought the museum book because it contained all the content that was in the museum that we didn't get time to see. Really got a lot out of it, but it was not pleasant.
Monday 16 May 2011
Still the wifi is not working so I am spending my precious euros for Internet. Booked accommodation for Oktoberfest today!! I am very excited. It is going to be the most expensive 4 days of my life, but I cannot wait. Went on the "free" walking tour today, and when they say free... They mean you must pay at the end. But it was very good though, saw heaps of the city and our guide Ozzie knew so much about the history of Bavaria. He linked in the recent invasion of Israel to German history (I haven't watched the news much so I didn't even know this had happened!). We stopped at the victualienmarkt and had bratwurst and beers as we continued our walking tour. Awesome! walked up to the english gardens but unfortunately it was cold and there was no naked sunbathing going on. Saw the standing wave, a couple of surfers had a real good go on it. Then bought myself some Birkenstocks. Met Amy and Tracey from Melbourne so we had a couple drinks in the hostel bar then went down to a augustiner beer hall in old town and had a litre and a pretzel, THESE PRETZELS ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY! Went to the famous hofbrauhaus beer hall for yet another litre and met some people from america who shared our table. They had an oompa band playing funny music. On the way back to the hostel bar we stopped by this band busking, playing jazzed up classical tunes, they were awesome. Somehow managed to lose my wallet during the course of the night, I was running around the hostel like a headless chook trying to find it. The lovely man at the front desk gave me a new card so at least i could access my dorm to go to bed. Woke up 25 minutes before I was due on the bus, packed in a noisy hurry. Had to use the main bathroom down the hall to get changed as the one in my dorm room was occupied and LO! What do I find but my wallet sitting there on the toilet paper dispenser, all cards and money present and accounted for. Couldn't believe my luck!!!
MUCH Pain and suffering all the way to Venice on the bus. Munich did me a mischief.
No comments:
Post a Comment