Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Bucharest to Budapest

Friday 6 May 2011
Don't eat Romanian deep fried cheese just before bedtime! I had the most deranged and crazy dreams I have ever had and the memories of it will last me a lifetime!
Weather turned nice, lot less "Dracula" and more like the "Count" from sesame street in Bucharest today. Visited peasant museum today. Exhibiting lots of old household items, Christian artworks, hand painted easter eggs, very impressive hand stitching and embroidery, and a big peasant house erected in the middle of the museum. Free entry for those under 35, yessss! Caught metro into centre of town, get a little bit lost finding the romanian fine art gallery, it held lots of good stuff, many christian paintings (these Europeans really love Jeebus!). There were a couple of dubious paintings depicting "The Circumcision" where creepy looking priests were holding onto the Holy Willy of Baby Jeebus with malicious intent. I got very excited to see some french artists work, i really loved the sculpture "the kiss" by Rodin, not sure if it was the real thing or not. After this, walked to Old Town (Lipscani) only part of old Bucharest left standing after WW2. Got completely fucking lost! My feet were aching by the time I finally found Cafe Van Gogh for lunch, where I immediately got harassed by a gypsy for spare coins. 
The Ister sleeper car to Budapest was like riding on the Hilton train, compared to the train from Istanbul. I enjoyed it far better, the sun was setting over the countryside as we rolled through the highlands towards Hungary, just lovely!

Saturday 7 may 2011
Helllooooooooooo Budapest! I love you already! 
After finding the hostel (paprika hostel, very homey apartment style place, anyone who is going to budapest I recommend you stay there!!) hotfooted it to Central Market, first real food market i have seen on the trip. Bought a Hungarian salami, a Camembert and a loaf of bread and ate it for about 5 meals straight. Took the free walking tour firstly around the Pest side, and then over to the Buda side. Emma our guide was excellent. had a fantastic view over the city from the hills where the royal palace is. Went to the underground labyrinth, it felt creepy and evil down there, I was by myself and a little bit freaked out, but fun at the same time. Got back in time for shots of tequila with new hostel friends, then out for pub crawl on Margaret island. I danced so much until i fell on my ass... Nearly lost my new leather jacket! Great fun!!!

Sunday 8 May 2011
SO HUNGOVER!! Dragged myself out of the hostel at about 1 and went to the public baths, wallowed around in the numerous pools of differing temperature. Spent a bit of time in the sauna but it made me feel unwell. Old mate was getting extremely freaky with his lady friend in the extra hot outdoor pool, get a room!! I'm in serious need of a calippo and some water so bailed out. Went to see Otello at the Opera house this evening. Singing and music was fantastic. The house itself is a grand old building, very flash. Ticket cost me 3 euro, cheaper than the daytime tour of the building!

Sunday 9 May 2011
Happy birthday Lachlan! 
Wanted to visit holocaust museum but closed on Monday's dammit! Took a leisurely stroll down Andrassy utca, a very pretty main street through town.
Visited the Budapest zoo for a few hours! There were some extraordinary birds from south America, weird looking naughty monkeys, giraffe, hippo, a white wolf, an Australian exhibit! But my favorites were of course the grey meerkats, they came right up to me and I'm sure they were saying "please give us a cuddle! No one will mind". Had a traditional Hungarian goulash for lunch with a bread top on the hot pot, it was delicious. Burnt my tongue on the second mouthful! Had to fix it with some wine. Now I'm on the way to Vienna, 3 hours on a modern and comfortable train, the Railjet, only 13 euro!

1 comment:

  1. Just checking in EuroSonn! Sounds like the adventures continue. we had a much tamer time in Melbourne over the weekend-watched the Hawks get up over St kilda and generally just enjoyed ourselves. Now back at the Saltmine which is completetly over-rated!

    Very jealous of she who does not have to go to work. :) lotsalove from Kate and Mark in Taswegia.

    PS still have not worked out how to get your blog updates to send a notification to my email or FB account. Can anyone help me please?

    ReplyDelete